2007 Sep 18 08:20

Re: [vox-tech] Fwd: Install Issues

> Bill Kendrick wrote:
> >Pat send this before successfully subscribing to the list.
> >Fwd'ing it along for him.
> >

> >Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 17:05:46 -0700
> >From: Pat <drummerpat@sbcglobal.net>
> >Subject: Install Issues
> >To: vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
> >
> >Hey Lugod,
> >
> >I am new to Linux and after experiencing it in the computer labs in
> >Kemper Hall on campus decided to give it a shot at home on my AMD Athlon
> >64 Bit Dual Core machine. I have now tried Mandriva Spring 2007 (DVD),
> >Mandriva 2007 (CD), Fedora 7(DVD), and after a suggestion in your IRC
> >channel I downloaded Knoppix to see if that would work. Every single one
> >of these distributions gets me to the screen where I tell it to start
> >the install (or to start Linux in Knoppix's case) and when I tell it to
> >begin it loads a few files and then freezes. Any suggestions on why this
> >might be and how to work around it? Thanks in advance for anything you
> >guys can do.

I have once experienced a failure in installation exactly like the one
you described. The machine turned out to have faulty RAM. Are you
confident in your hardware? If not, I suggest testing it thoroughly to
rule out hardware failure. CPU-cooling issues seem to be very common
with current machines (especially if home-built).

I second Jeff's recommendation of Ubuntu; lots of observations have have
convinced me that Ubuntu is the best distribution for those new to
Linux. I suggest you get the alternate installation CD image; it doesn't
have the pretty GUI and live-demo features but it totally reliable. The
GUI Ubuntu installer sometimes fails, unfortunately (though it's getting
better).

The installfests are recommended, too!

--
Henry House