2007 Sep 11 10:36

Re: [vox-tech] NFS:mount RPC timed out

      Hi Ken,
                Yes, TCP failed is exactly the first problem. I'm not quite sure if I am doing the right thing so far as firewall settings, I use kernel v2.4.20, there is only a iproute on board, no iptables, so I    use "iproute flush 10.25.16.130", and it response with "Nothing to flush", so I assume the firewall settings is right.
                I use "rpcinfo -p 10.25.16.130"and it response with "rpcinfo: cann't contact portmapper : RPC: Remote system error - Connection timed out".

Jeff Newmiller wrote:
> xiao.liang@cn.alps.com wrote:
>>
>> Both hosts.allow and host.deny are empty.
>
> Oh, well.
> Google sez busybox mount does not support NFS4.
> Perhaps you need to write a patch for busybox or use a
> full "mount" executable on your client... or setup
> NFS3 on your server....

Neither this nor hosts.allow would explain why the 3-way handshake isn't
completing. RPC is just a protocol layer on top of TCP or UDP--I assume
TCP in this case, if there are SYN and SYN-ACK packets--and the
operation that's failing here is a portmap query, which is a prelude to
the actual mount operation. Userland security checks and the like
wouldn't prevent the kernel from creating the TCP stream.

Xiao, along the lines of the firewall comment I made earlier, a simple
test you can try is to run "rpcinfo -p server-name" from the client.
This will query portmap on server-name and print a list of RPC services
that the server offers. If the command hangs and times out, that is more
evidence that portmap traffic is blocked between the hosts. Note that
rpcinfo can use either TCP or UDP to talk to portmap. It's possible that
one is blocked on your network but not the other.

Ken Herron