2007 Sep 03 19:22

Re: [vox-tech] NFS:mount RPC timed out

Jeff Newmiller wrote:
xiao.liang@cn.alps.com wrote:
Both hosts.allow and host.deny are empty.
Oh, well.
Google sez busybox mount does not support NFS4.
Perhaps you need to write a patch for busybox or use a
full "mount" executable on your client... or setup
NFS3 on your server....
Neither this nor hosts.allow would explain why the 3-way handshake isn't completing. RPC is just a protocol layer on top of TCP or UDP--I assume TCP in this case, if there are SYN and SYN-ACK packets--and the operation that's failing here is a portmap query, which is a prelude to the actual mount operation. Userland security checks and the like wouldn't prevent the kernel from creating the TCP stream.

Xiao, along the lines of the firewall comment I made earlier, a simple test you can try is to run "rpcinfo -p server-name" from the client. This will query portmap on server-name and print a list of RPC services that the server offers. If the command hangs and times out, that is more evidence that portmap traffic is blocked between the hosts. Note that rpcinfo can use either TCP or UDP to talk to portmap. It's possible that one is blocked on your network but not the other.

Ken Herron