2007 Aug 28 13:50

Re: [vox-tech] I'm over my head - need a cookbook for transferingsystem to new disks

Re: [vox-tech] I'm over my head - need a cookbook for transferingsystem to new disks

This was fantastic help. This evening I went for it and got pretty far.
Doing the RAID clone was a wonderful idea - the files copied in about
an hour. I now have a booting system with both the 500GB drives in there
in a RAID 1.

Just one last thing to do. During the RAID merge with the mismatched
drive sizes, mdadm drew down my partition size on the 500GB drive to
create a partition that matched the size of the Linux Raid partition on
the 300GB drive. So, even though I have a working system, I still have
to extend that booted partition to fill the remainder of the free space.
That's for tomorrow - hopefully I'll use the right program and not
have to go back to the start.

Thanks to all who have tried to help,

-- Dave Spencer, PageWeavers