2007 Aug 21 22:40

Re: [vox-tech] I'm over my head - need a cookbook for transferingsystem to new disks

Bill, that's awesome. Still a bit of shorthand but right along the lines
of what I needed. In #4, "hotraid add" I'm assuming that you mean to use
the mdadm utility to add the new RAID member? On #5, "install grub," I
also assume that I use the grub utility on the working system to point
things to the right places. Sounds good - I'm going for it!

-- Dave

--- Bill Broadly wrote ---

I also figured I'd mentioned that with a mirror it's even easier.  I just did
this to migrate from 2 250GB disks to 2 500GB disks.

Something along the lines of:
#1 Pull disk B, put it in a safe place in case this goes poorly.
#2 Insert 500 GB disk B
#3 partition disk b
#4 hotraid add
#5 install grub
#6 wait for raid sync
#7 shutdown, put 500 disk B in slot A and new 500GB disk in slot b
#8 partition disk b
#9 hotsync b
#10 install grub
#11 resize2fs and/or lvextend

No need for partition magic, and most importantly if it goes poorly you
have an original disk to use.  Partition magic and friends often work, but I
wouldn't want to try them without a backup.  You have a backup... right?

So there's potentially 3 things to change:
1) Software RAID
2) LVM (pvresize and/or lvextend)
3) Actual filesystem (resize2fs or friends)