2007 Aug 21 18:37

Re: [vox-tech] I'm over my head - need a cookbook for transferingsystem to new disks

Re: [vox-tech] I'm over my head - need a cookbook for transferingsystem to new disks

HL> I've had great success using parted / qtparted (GUI) to resize ext2/
HL> ex3 and FAT partitions in Linux.

HL> http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/index.shtml
HL> http://qtparted.sourceforge.net/

HL> From the point of having Ghosted the data onto 300 GB partitions on
HL> the new drives, you could disable the RAID mirroring, resize them,
HL> and then rebuild the mirroring.

There are two separate operations here needed, and make sure you don't
mix them up and confuse them as a single operation in your head:

1) tell the partion table that the individual partition size is larger.
   parted can do this for you and automatically extend a partion (or
   move them around, or ...)

2) but then you have to reformat the rest of the partition space and
   explain to the filesystem on the partition that it's gone up in size
   and has more room.  How to do this depends on the filesystem being
   used.  Assuming ext2 or ext3, you need to run resize2fs on the
   partition.

(I frequently extend partitions within a lvm system.  For LVM, step1
consists of running lvextend instead of parted or similar).