January 6: Social gathering
2007 Aug 21 11:37

Re: [vox-tech] I'm over my head - need a cookbook for transferingsystem to new disks

Re: [vox-tech] I'm over my head - need a cookbook for transferingsystem to new disks

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 07:14:46 -0700
Ted Deppner <ted@psyber.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 20, 2007 at 01:56:28PM -0700, David Spencer, Internet
> Handyman wrote:
> > I'm hoping that somebody can help me by directing me to a
> > step-by-step cookbook of some sort for what I'm trying to do.
> > Here's the summary:
>
> The big issue here is probably how you did your initial partioning.
> If you have more than two or three partitions, and say that you want
> to grow a partition in the middle of the disk, then you're at the
> most complex issue.
>
> The way to do that "point and click" is with Partion Magic.  Sure,
> it's no open source and it'll cost you some pennies, but it's the
> only thing I trust my disks to when I need it's capabilities.  $70
> and all this issue goes away for you.  What's your time worth?  Are
> you making money with this server?  You'd basically do your clone
> like you already did once, and then use PM on the target disk to grow
> it.  PM knows linux partions and does the right thing.

QTParted can do it as well, but moving the beginning of any partition
could take days because the software will need to touch every byte in
that partition, and it will do a dry-run first on each operation.

Not recommended.

--Ken
(who learned this the long way)

http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/