2007 Aug 13 12:27

Re: [vox-tech] clear all holds (debian/ubuntu)

On Mon, Aug 13, 2007 at 11:34:55AM -0700, Gandalf Parker wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Aug 2007, Henry House wrote:
>
> >>Is there a way in Aptitude or dselect to clear all holds on updates?
> >>
> >>A previous manager put a lock on just about everything prefering to do it
> >>himself, and I want to go back to using aptitude recommends.
> >
> >I think something like
> >
> >  aptitude -o 'APT::Ignore-Hold = true' upgrade
> >
> >will do the trick. (Warning: untested.)
> >
> >There is also an --ignore-holds flag in apt-get (but you specified that
> >you want to use aptitude).
>
> Apt would be fine also if there is a way to turn off all of the holds. Or
> maybe there is a text file someplace that stores it and I can do a SED
> command on. I want to go back to the original settings and let the catalog
> decide what should or shouldnt be upgraded.

There is also the method involving dpkg, ie:

# dpkg --get-selections

and

# dpkg --set-selections

You can dump the former to a file, sed it, then feed it into the latter.
I imagine aptitude uses the same holds as apt as dpkg, but I don't know
for sure.

-Gabe