2007 Aug 11 09:50

Re: [vox-tech] DMA disabled on device LITE-ON - DVDRW SHM-165H6S

On 8/10/07, Jimbo <evesautomotive@charter.net> wrote:
> [...]
>
> I did as suggested w/o a hitch.  First time seeing msg since updating k3b.
>
> Is there a way to permanently enable dma easily for this uber  newbie
> can understand?  Googling brings up unending questions hence this letter.
>
> Thanx,
>
> Jimbo

Hi Jim,

You should run hdparm with the -k option after you verified the drive
performs well, as stated in the man page:

       -k     Get/set the keep_settings_over_reset flag for the  drive.   When
              this flag is set, the driver will preserve the -dmu options over
              a soft reset, (as done  during  the  error  recovery  sequence).
              This  flag  defaults  to off, to prevent drive reset loops which
              could be caused by combinations of -dmu settings.  The  -k  flag
              should  therefore  only be set after one has achieved confidence
              in correct system operation with a chosen set  of  configuration
              settings.   In practice, all that is typically necessary to test
              a configuration (prior to using -k) is to verify that the  drive
              can  be  read/written,  and that no error logs (kernel messages)
              are generated in the process (look in /var/adm/messages on  most
              systems).

HTH,
Foo