2007 Aug 11 03:14

[vox-tech] DMA disabled on device LITE-ON - DVDRW SHM-165H6S

[vox-tech] DMA disabled on device LITE-ON - DVDRW SHM-165H6S

Greetings:
I received an error msg when bringing k3b 'DMA disabled on device LITE-ON - DVDRW SHM-165H6S.
It further went to say : 'With most modern CD/DVD devices enabling DMA highly increases read/write performance. If you experience very low writing speeds this is probably the cause. Solution: Enable DMA temporarily as root with 'hdparm -d 1 /dev/hda'

I did as suggested w/o a hitch. First time seeing msg since updating k3b.

Is there a way to permanently enable dma easily for this uber newbie can understand? Googling brings up unending questions hence this letter.

Thanx,

Jimbo