2007 Aug 02 15:12

Re: [vox-tech] Fwd: vox-tech Digest, Vol 39, Issue 1

Re: [vox-tech] Fwd: vox-tech Digest, Vol 39, Issue 1

Ken Bloom wrote:
On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 12:59:51 -0700
"John Marcotte" <john@badmouth.net> wrote:

I strongly suggest using the 'alternate installer' CD instead of the
regular Ubuntu installer. The alternate CD provides a text-mode
installer similar to the traditional Debian installer. It is much
more reliable than the GUI installer.
I tried this next and experienced an almost identical freeze. The
alternate install CD actually has a small graphical interface that
asks if you want to do a text install. When I choose text install, it
switches to a blank screen and freezes.

You might also want to try installing into a chroot environment
within your running Debian installation using debootstrap (not the
regular bootable installer). Feel free to ask for more details on
this method if you choose to use it.

I suspected there was a method like this, but I'm an end user not a
system admin. I'm not sure how to do this.
There's no such thing as an end user in Linux, especially if you're
planning to do your own install ;)

Ubuntu gives some directions here.
http://help.ubuntu.com/6.10/ubuntu/installation-guide/i386/linux-upgrade.html
I imagine you can figure out how to adjust appropriately for your
particular setup.

--Ken

Oh, I forgot in my reply a couple of minutes ago. Worst case scenario, which I had to do on a PIII rack server whose CD liked to hang, was to use the MinimalCD, it's a 8MB boot CD which then does everything else over the net. It's a little slower, but it works on funky hardware
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD

Alex