2007 Aug 01 18:10

Re: [vox-tech] Installation woes

På 2007-08-01, skrev John Marcotte:
> I am attempting to refurbish an old Intel L440GX+ -based dual P-III server.
> It is currently running an outdated version of Debian. I wanted to Install
> Ubuntu Server on it.
>
> When I installed Debian, I had to jump through some hoops, because as I
> recall, the Adaptec SCSI chip on the motherboard was not supported. I think
> I had to either hack the ISO, or maybe make some sort of boot floppy.
>
> Well five years of driver developments did not help this situation. Ubuntu
> will not install. It just freezes shortly after loading the kernel. I
> suspect it is the same issue. The passing of time has made good information
> about this board even harder to find. Not as many people still have one, so
> I can't find instructions on how to fix the problem.
>
> I think it has an Adaptec AIC7896/97 chipset that is causing the trouble.
> Does anyone have any advice on how to get past this install issue?

I strongly suggest using the 'alternate installer' CD instead of the
regular Ubuntu installer. The alternate CD provides a text-mode
installer similar to the traditional Debian installer. It is much more
reliable than the GUI installer.

You might also want to try installing into a chroot environment within
your running Debian installation using debootstrap (not the regular
bootable installer). Feel free to ask for more details on this method if
you choose to use it.

--
Henry House
+1 530 753 3361 ext. 13