2007 Jul 10 11:06

Re: [vox-tech] Removing Old Kernels

Bob Scofield wrote:
> I've got a lot of old kernels in my Debian testing and Kubuntu systems that
> I'd like to get rid of.  Is there a single simple command to use to get rid
> of one kernel?
>
> For example if I have these files in /boot:  config-2.6.15-1-486,
> initrd.img-2.6.15-1-486, vmlinuz-2.6.15-1-486, System.map-2.6.15-1-486, is
> there one aptitude command that can be used to get rid of all of it, or do I
> do "aptitude remove config-2.6.15-1-486" for the one file and other similar
> commands to get rid of the other files?  Do I just use the rm command for all
> of these files?

You remove old kernels by their package name.  Depending on the kernel
version, this will either be kernel-image-2.6.15-1-486 (for older
kernels) or linux-image-2.6.15-1-486 (for newer kernels). I don't recall
whether the change occurred before or after 2.6.15, but I think it was
very near the time 2.6.15 was current.

--Ken