2007 Jun 21 22:00

Re: [vox-tech] Installing Firefox in Kubuntu

Re: [vox-tech] Installing Firefox in Kubuntu

Alex Mandel wrote:
Bruce Wolk wrote:
I'm a long time Gentoo user who is experimenting with Kubuntu 7.04 on an
 old Althon-XP box.  The system installed without a glitch, but I can't
seem to install additional software.  The add/remove facility shows
Firefox in the list, but it is greyed out and I have found no way to
ungrey it.  I tried using apt-get install firefox via the command line,
but this gives a "Package firefox is not available" error.  Googling
hasn't helped.  Any suggestions?

Bruce
Firefox is installed by default. If you don't see an icon on the Kde bar
at the bottom try opening a terminal and running firefox.

If for some odd reason you're running an odd duck version, try turning
on the additional repositories which involves uncommenting some lines in
/etc/apt/sources.list
Note you'll need an internet connection on the box to use them.

Otherwise this handy page usually answers/solves the basics
http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feisty

Alex
It clearly isn't installed. I downloaded the ISO for the desktop version from a standard mirror site. The universe and multiverse repositories are all uncommented, so it can't be that. A lot of other programs are greyed out as well. Very strange.