2007 Jun 20 23:30

Re: [vox-tech] microphone (solved-summary)

On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 10:37:46PM -0700, Jimbo wrote:
> Jimbo wrote:
> >Greetings:
> >Went to frys and bought a microphone however it doesn't work on a pc.
> >A pc mic works just fine.  I guess that it wasn't designed to work on
> >a pc (it is a shure 8900 brand mic).
> >
> >I see why it doesn't...the regular pc mic has 2 separators in the jack
> >and the pro mic has just one and it is spaced differently( but the
> >same size jack).
> >
> >Can I somehow get an adapter from radio shack for example?  Don't
> >really know if I can get around the 2 jack separator not knowing how
> >mics are imputted.  I haven't went yet to see if this is an option; I
> >have to go to a party tonite.
> >
> >Hate to return this nice mic.  Anybody had the same experience?
> >
> >One last quick thing:
> >I bought a new sound card for my pc thinking that the rca jack
> >receivers on the back of it would go directly to my stereo however I
> >have read that these jacks are for s/pdif in and out.  Hard time
> >understanding what this is for when googled.
> >Jimbo
> >
> Well heck...it isn't as easy as plugging a mic into a sound card even if
> it nice looking.
>
> According to what I have found online I have a low impedance mic in
> which I would have to have a mic preamp to 'push' the output.  Too
> expensive for what I need.
>
> The mics  jack has only 1 separator in which it is mono.  I was wrong
> into thinking that it is the jack configuration causing no sound.
>
> Thank you Mark Kim for the reply.  Your reply make me google til my
> noodle hurt.
>
> I will go to frys tomorrow and exchange this for something that works.
>

> Jimbo

Or you can get one of these:
http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=41800&Category=Audio_Interfaces
I've never tried it, so I don't know how well it works, but it looks
pretty simple. Shure are supposed to be pretty good microphones, and all
the other pro mics use xlr too, so maybe you should give it a shot.
Nick