2007 Jun 04 12:03

Re: [vox-tech] NVIDIA drivers

hajhouse wrote:
I've avoided NVIDIA's video cards like the plague for the last few
years, because I really dislike the idea of being tied to a proprietary
driver. Now I am faced with a problem: basically the only
high-performance video available on laptops is NVIDIA. I know about the
proprietary binary-only drivers that will provide full 3d acceleration.
I don't play games but I do use 3d data visualization (not realtime).
What I would like to know is: if for whatever reason NVIDIA stop
supporting the Linux drivers, will I be SOL and stuck with an
unaccelerated card? Or is there a viable Free alternative that will
provide at least some acceleration? (There is this:
http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/ --- anyone tried it?) What about
emulating the GPU in software (assuming a fast dual-core CPU)?

I have been using NVIDIA video cards for awhile now in Linux. The proprietary driver works very well and is the same for all GeForce cards since 5000 series. I think most distributions have good support for the drivers as well. The only drawback, as you mention, is that the driver is not open. However, I think the benefit to risk ratio is high, and therefore I continue to use them.