2007 Jun 04 12:34

[vox-tech] NVIDIA drivers

I've avoided NVIDIA's video cards like the plague for the last few
years, because I really dislike the idea of being tied to a proprietary
driver. Now I am faced with a problem: basically the only
high-performance video available on laptops is NVIDIA. I know about the
proprietary binary-only drivers that will provide full 3d acceleration.
I don't play games but I do use 3d data visualization (not realtime).
What I would like to know is: if for whatever reason NVIDIA stop
supporting the Linux drivers, will I be SOL and stuck with an
unaccelerated card? Or is there a viable Free alternative that will
provide at least some acceleration? (There is this:
http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/ --- anyone tried it?) What about
emulating the GPU in software (assuming a fast dual-core CPU)?

--
Henry House
+1 530 753 3361 ext. 13