2007 May 30 10:45

Re: [vox-tech] PowerEdge Install

On Sun, May 20, 2007 at 07:20:22PM -0700, Alex Mandel wrote:
> Yay, I made progress on my Dell Poweredge install.
> Using the ubuntu minimal install I bypassed the cd drive nonesense I was
> having at the installfest. Now I'm kinda stuck though. It looks like the
> hardware raid wasn't configured properly before the install. I've
> corrected that now I think and can at least get to grub commandline.
>
> At which point I know have no idea what to do.
> The screen says:
> grub>
>
> How do I boot the system, I'm not sure what the device is refered to sda1?
>
> Alex

What poweredge is it? Some of the cheaper poweredges don't actually have
hardware raid, dell is lying. Search for fakeraid and the poweredge
model. What is the raid setup? What are the raid devices called in the
installer that you made the filesystems on, or did you get that far? If
not, the installer probably doesn't support your raid controller, and
maybe it is fakeraid. On my poweredge with fakeraid, I just used
software raid which the debian installer sets up very neatly.
Nick