January 6: Social gathering
2007 May 01 20:05

Re: [vox-tech] bootloader

FYI - one other thing to be aware of in this type of dual boot setup:

Windows needs to be on the first sector of the first hard drive (i.e., hd0,0), else it gets very grumpy. So be aware that you must make the Windows disk hd0, and not hd1.

I realize that that probably pokes a bit of a hole in your configuration, as it sounds like you want to use grub to control the boot selection. But given this setup, IIRC I think you'll have to let the MS boot loader do it instead. (If you, say, had Windows and Linux installed in different partitions on the same drive, then I think you wouldn't have to. But since you've got one disk all Windows (and which I'm assuming you *don't* want grub installed on, since you might want to later use this drive in a different, windows-only box) and one disk all Linux, I think it'd need to be done this way.)

The way you do that is you put a Linux boot record file on the c: drive and then add Linux into the MS boot loader menu. This will cause the MS boot loader to let you choose between Windows and Linux. When you choose Linux, it will then transfer control over to grub.

My laptop is set up this way.

Google around on "windows linux dual boot" or some such, and you can find all the details.

HTH. Feel free to email back if you get stuck.

DR

Wade Pinkston wrote:
this is from my /etc/grub.conf (/etc/grub/grub.conf) for your situation you would just change hd0,0 to the drive,partition of you winblows install

title winblows
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

Jimbo wrote:
I have grub as a boot loader. I have wondoze on one drive and linux w/ grub on the other. If I want to change drives I have to go into the bios and change hdd priority. Alex I should have set this up at the installfest but I didn't. Now I wish that I had. Can I config grub to load up windows even though it is on another hard drive?

I have a program called drak and it gives boot options but it doesn't seem to point correctly to the other hdd. The closet option to my sata drive it gives is dev/sda1 . I believe that I need to set it at dev/sda but unsure.

Jimbo