2007 Apr 30 21:22

Re: [vox-tech] white screen

Jimbo wrote:
From what I have read online it appears that this is a common problem.
A fix is to update beryl which I will try with synaptic once I get to my desktop.

Do you know how I can do that? Disable beryl from starting?

Jimbo
Simpler to use the Ctrl-Alt-F1 and Ctrl-Alt-F7 to switch to and from
console mode.  Then login and use

  sudo apt-get update
  sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

instead of synaptic.

----- Original Message ----- From: <jenks@resonance.org>
To: "lugod's technical discussion forum" <vox-tech@lists.lugod.org>
Sent: Monday, April 30, 2007 9:10 AM
Subject: Re: [vox-tech] white screen

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007, Jimbo wrote:

Greetings:
Had my linux installed at the installfest. Worked great at the time. 3d acceleration was rightchous.

I now have a new problem in which I cannot go to my desktop environment-just a white screen. It doesn give me a cursor in which can be moved: changes to a pointed hand-link hand-when placed at certain areas of the screen. I guess this means that the mechanics are inplemented but everything is a wash.

Grub does its thing, loads my os, then gives me a user screen as usual. When I try to log in as any user, including root, I wind up with a white screen.

I might be able to muddle thru and go to the x files (funny-used to watch this show a lot), and change a few options but this is very challenging for my given my lvl of expertise.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Jimbo
Dear Jimbo,

I had this happen recently when I tried to install Beryl on my ubuntu Feisty. I assumed it didn't like my cheap video card. I went to a console (ctrl-alt-F1), uninstalled beryl and rebooted and everything was fine. I wonder what you were doing just before the white screen?

Yours,

Chris