2007 Apr 27 12:07

Re: [vox-tech] DNS MX Record Woes

On Friday 27 April 2007 10:57, hajhouse wrote:
> På 2007-04-26, skrev Rod Roark:
> [...]
> > I would guess it's either the reverse lookup, or you are showing up on
> > one of the DNS-based blocklists that tracks "residential" IP space.
> > Probably the former, given the wording of the rejection.
> >
> > IMO Craigslist is not handling this very well, especially considering
> > its focus as a consumer-centric service.  It seems the heavy flood of
> > spam in recent months is causing some administrators to make poor
> > decisions.
>
> Can you elaborate on how Craigslist handles this poorly?

Just that rejecting mail based on the results of a reverse lookup
generates too many false positives.  My guess is that CL was noticing
the adsl-somethingorother and rejecting just based on that.  As if
nobody but a "real" ISP has any business running a mail server.
Ridiculous.

> I've had a similar trouble with Craigslist: they reject my messages
> because I allegedly have no reverse DNS. In fact I do have a perfectly
> functional reverse DNS record. I've contacted Craigslist to alert them
> that their system's behavior is bogus to no avail. Grr.

Having no reverse DNS at all is something else, and really should not
happen.  A while back I tried rejecting those, but even then got too
many false positives.

Rod