2007 Apr 27 10:39

Re: [vox-tech] Num lock key never locked

På 2007-04-27, skrev Aaron A. King:
> Not sure how ubuntu does its initscripts, but on my boxes (running Mandriva)
> there is a script, /etc/init.d/numlock, that toggles this.  By default this
> script is run whenever I boot into runlevels 2, 3, or 4, I think.  I don't
> like this behavior and so turned it off.  Try this:
>
> $ man chkconfig
> $ ls /etc/init.d/
> $ sudo chkconfig --list numlock
>
> To turn it off I did
>
> $ sudo chkconfig numlock off
>
> If I'm on the right track you could turn it on in a similar way.  Hope this
> helps.

Note that numlock state is different for X versus text-mode virtual
consoles (ttys). For ttys, you can turn on numlock with a script like:

EXAMPLE
       One might use setleds in /etc/rc to define the initial and default state of NumLock, e.g. by

              INITTY=/dev/tty[1-8]
              for tty in $INITTY; do
                     setleds -D +num < $tty
              done

(example ripped from setleds(1) man page)

For X, you can use numlockx (see http://packages.ubuntu.com/numlockx) or as
someone (Ken?) mentioned earlier in this thread, there is a facility in Gnome's
control panel to set the initial numlock state.

--
Henry House
+1 530 753 3361 ext. 13