2007 Apr 27 10:29

[vox-tech] md5sum

Hi:
I've d/l iso files for linux cds.
Found suggestion on kubuntu web page to check these w/ md5sum.
Hard time understanding outcome once iso runs thru program.

Example:
knoppix 5.2 iso run thru gives a md5sum value of 51955807506120c90d43deebb5bc5a8e .

When hitting the "compare" button a window comes up with "Md5 Check Sums are different".

Sabayon iso gives similar results.

So...what does this mean?  I have a value but thats all I have.  No blatent signs telling me that the authenticity is legit nor file integrity.

Googling my way to enlightment.

Regards:
Jimbo