2007 Apr 16 18:06

Re: [vox-tech] Alarming spam

did you enclose your SSN in quotes?

On Apr 16, 2007, at 1:57 PM, Richard Harke wrote:

On Sat April 14 2007 06:41, Gandalf  Parker wrote:
On Sat, 14 Apr 2007, Richard Harke wrote:
I find this rather alarming as I doubt if the sender is a friend.
I also don't know where they got the info as I never post such info
in public forums. I'm wondering if my ISP could have suffered a
breakin as that seems the most likely to tie together all the elements.

Has any one else had this problem or any suggestion?
See if it can be googled.

And the computer guru said "Google thyself".
Then he said "For to google thyself is to know thyself,
and to see thyself as others see you".
Now available as a shirt at
http://www.cafepress.com/oddthotz.40658864?pid=2837642

Sorry, Im not playing light on it. This is a shirt I made to make a point.
Everyone should google themselves. If it can be googled, then you will
know whats out there and where it came from. Ive been a netcop for as long
as there has been internet and I think that everyone should google:

(A) their name. As a full string. On a regular basis I google "Anthony A.
G. Parker" and sometimes "Gandalf Parker" with the quotes. (but Gandalf
Parker comes up with way too many hits in web and newsgroups. Its a good
thing Google only goes back a couple of decades)

(B) their street address, maybe just their street. You might find someone
talking about you. You might find history on your house. You might find
something bad is happening on your street. You might discover a friend
near you.

(C) your phone number. Is it listed someplace other than white pages or
yellow pages? Is it connected to your name and info about you?

(D) your social security number. Some people are nervous about typing info
like that into any computer. After all, search engines do keep records.
Its up to you whether you want to do that or not. But its not like you are
attaching it to anything. And if it shows up, such as some kids "cracked
info" page, then you want to know. I wouldnt do this one too often.

(E) your kids. By ALL means if you have kids old enough to type then
google your kids. They cant complain that you are snooping if you find
public info about them. You can setup google to do a regular search on
things and email you any new results.

(F) your parents. If they are still living then for the same reason as
searching on you and your kids. If they arent then it can be interesting.

By the way, as far as any of that info... you can easily find any of it on
me (except social security number). Ive got info pages everywhere, and
resumes, and life stories. Im even in the whois database if anyone still
knows how to ask for a personal id mine is gp1628

Thanks for the ideas.
I have googled several of these and not found anything bothersome. My street
name turns out to be pretty well known in some cities so the number of hits
is pretty large. I have tried searching on a piece of my SSN but the number of
hits is huge.
Richard