2007 Apr 06 01:37

Re: [vox-tech] Shutting off tap-to-click on a Sony Vaio VGN-N270Elaptop running Ubuntu Edgy

On Thursday 05 April 2007 17:25, Issac Trotts wrote:
> On 4/5/07, Ken Bloom <kbloom@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 04 April 2007 18:59, Issac Trotts wrote:
> > > Ubuntu mostly works great on this laptop, except that wireless
> > > access required writing a script and by default the tap-to-click
> > > misfeature is enabled.  Wireless is working fine now, but I
> > > haven't yet figured how to remove tap-to-click.
> > >
> > > The touchpad is an ALPS GlidePoint
> > > (http://www.alps.co.jp/index_e.htm), or at least that's what I
> > > gather from inserting some printk's into the mouse driver and
> > > running dmesg. This is confirmed by cat /proc/bus/input/devices,
> > > which says among other things
> >
> > I think it's a matter of getting the right driver for the right
> > device.
> >

> > http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/2005/11/15/fixing-my-alps-touchpad-with
> >-the-synaptics-driver/
> > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=78904
> >
> > also have a look at the xorg.conf files for my laptop available
> > from http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/Compaq_Presario_v2310us
> >
> > --Ken
>
> Thanks, that did the trick.  I had to remove
> /etc/modprobe.d/psmouse.modprobe to get the ALPS GlidePoint to show
> up as itself in /proc/bus/input/devices rather than as a generic PS/2
> mouse.  Then I inserted this stuff into my /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier "ALPS"
> Driver "synaptics"
> Option "AlwaysCore"
> Option "Device" "/dev/input/event3"
> Option "Protocol" "event"
> Option "LeftEdge" "120"
> Option "RightEdge" "830"
> Option "TopEdge" "120"
> Option "BottomEdge" "650"
> Option "FingerLow" "14"
> Option "FingerHigh" "15"
> Option "MaxTapTime" "0"  # was 180.  Set to 0 to disable tap-to-click
> Option "MaxTapMove" "110"
> Option "ClickTime" "0"
> Option "EmulateMidButtonTime" "75"
> Option "VertScrollDelta" "10"
> Option "HorizScrollDelta" "0"
> Option "MinSpeed" "0.45"
> Option "MaxSpeed" "0.75"
> Option "AccelFactor" "0.020"
> Option "EdgeMotionMinSpeed" "200"
> Option "EdgeMotionMaxSpeed" "200"
> Option "UpDownScrolling" "1"
> Option "CircularScrolling" "0"
> Option "CircScrollDelta" "0.1"
> Option "CircScrollTrigger" "2"
> Option "SHMConfig" "true"
> EndSection
>

> Section "ServerLayout"
>     Identifier    "Default Layout"
>     Screen        "Default Screen"
>     InputDevice    "Generic Keyboard"
> #    InputDevice    "Configured Mouse"
>     InputDevice    "ALPS"
> EndSection
>
> Even without "Configured Mouse" it still detects my USB mouse.
>
> One thing that's a little strange is that sometimes the touchpad
> shows up on event2 and sometimes on event3.  Not sure how to deal
> with that...

You need "configured mouse" to deal with external mice that you may plug
in to a USB port.

As for the event2/event3 thing, it may be that you have an external
mouse plugged in that's getting event2 sometimes. There may be other
factors. You can always write udev rules to symlink the built-in
devices to fixed names.

--Ken

http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/