2007 Apr 02 07:44

Re: [vox-tech] Wireless wonders - iwconfig (device) essid (ESSID)not registering

Re: [vox-tech] Wireless wonders - iwconfig (device) essid (ESSID)not registering

When it does this to me I go and manually edit the ifcfg-wlan0 file. Usually that will get it done and behaving correctly.

Richard Burkhart wrote:
Yesterday evening I (and a number of other people at the Saturday installfest) wrestled the dread ndiswrapper demons and got broadcom wireless cards operational ... notice how I said it was operational *yesterday*. I can't get the bloody thing online now.

How I got online yesterday, after assembling ndiswrapper, and attaching the windows driver:
- disable (rmmod) the linux native broadcom driver (bcm43xx -- it didn't work)
- modprobe ndiswrapper
- iwconfig eth2 essid (essid of router at yesterday's IF)
- ifconfig eth2 up (if it wasn't already)
- dhclient eth2

Today:
- disable native driver (tried both rmmod (driver) and putting the driver name into the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist file)
- iwconfig eth2 essid "multi word name" key "key"
- ifconfig eth2 up (if it wasn't already)
- dhclient eth2 (or ifup eth2 - I'd already filled the config data into /etc/network/interfaces)

Symptoms / issues
- The dhcp request (dhclient) didn't work ... it tries several times, then shuts down
- When I request a list from 'iwconfig eth2'
- The key is in the interface info list
- The essid is NOT in the list -- and doesn't show up no matter how many times I enter it, or if I try to enter a different single-word essid as a test
- The card is working. I can scan local access points with iwlist eth2, and pull data on the nearest two. One of these is the household router that's 5 feet away from me on the other side of a wall.

Suggestions, anyone?

Wade Pinkston

Ipsa scientia potestas est

Windows,a
32 bit graphical interface for a
16 bit patch to an
8 bit operating system internally coded for a
4 bit processor written by a
2 bit company that can't stand
1 bit of competition