January 6: Social gathering
2007 Mar 27 00:28

Re: [vox-tech] starting xwindows

On Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 10:06:52PM -0700, Gandalf Parker wrote:
> OK I tried that:
>  /etc/init.d/xdm start
>
> Not starting X display manager (xdm); it is not the default display
> manager

Tried  /etc/init.d/gdm start?

If GNOME worked before, and at boot-up, then presumably it was using GDM, so
the above should work.

On my wife's laptop (running Debian, and KDE which starts at boot via KDM),
there's a file "/etc/X11/default-display-manager", which contains the
single line: "/usr/bin/kdm"

It appears that both "/etc/init.d/xdm" and "/etc/init.d/kdm" on her
machine check that file, and use it to determie whether they should
actually do anything.  That is, if I were to run "/etc/init.d/xdm start"
on her laptop, I'd get the same error you got, since her default DM is KDM...

Hope that helps

-bill!
bill@newbreedsoftware.com
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/