2007 Mar 26 11:06

[vox-tech] telling aptitude to not automatically remove a packageit thinks is unused

[vox-tech] telling aptitude to not automatically remove a packageit thinks is unused

I've installed a package (libtcltk-ruby1.8) manually using dpkg (I
compiled it at home) and aptitude keeps trying to remove it on the
grounds that it is unused. (Of course automatically removing unused
libraries is what aptitude is supposed to do, normally.)  Looking
through the manual page, it looks like aptitude unmarkauto <package>
should override this behavior, to be as if I installed the package in
the regular way using aptitude install. Unfortunately it does not work,
as this shell transcript shows:

wotan:~(0)$ sudo aptitude unmarkauto libtcltk-ruby1.8
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Writing extended state information... Done
Building tag database... Done
The following packages are unused and will be REMOVED:
  libtcltk-ruby1.8
  grass grass-dev grass-doc linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 5 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 7766kB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?]

Does anyone know what I am missing here?

--
Henry House
+1 530 753 3361 ext. 13