2007 Mar 22 18:32

Re: [vox-tech] NAT in vmware broken

Dylan Beaudette wrote:
Hi everyone,

Fired up vmware for the first time in a while, and noticed that NAT-based networking does not work anymore. I have a nearly identical machine nearby where this is not the case. Both are running Debian/unstable- however the working machine is using a k7-based kernel.

I noticed that when I run ifconfig -a there is no listing for the vmnet8 device, which is normally used for NAT in vmware.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

I have tried updating vmware to the latest version, and re-compiled the kernel modules... still no luck.

cheers,

What are the odds I was monkeying about the same stuff today.
So what's your host system, what's your client system?
I'm assuming you ran ifconfig on the host?
I noticed when running the client that there's an option I hadn't seen before that gives you in depth control over your VMware network configs.
That seemed to solve a lot of problems for me today.

Unfortunately I'm not at work and the client isn't playing nice with my home system, so I can't tell you which menu it is (I think it's on the host menu)

Now that was on windows and I'm not sure if the linux client is different but give it a shot.

Alex