2007 Mar 23 10:16

Re: Fwd: Re: [vox-tech] How to tell if a pdf is text or image?

Re: Fwd: Re: [vox-tech] How to tell if a pdf is text or image?

I did give that shot, but it only gives me info about the pdf as an image. It can't tell anything about the fonts embedded in the file.

Alex
If text is your big concern, use Adobe Reader 7 - for Linux, of course.
You have 2 interesting things that may help.

1. Open your document in Adobe Reader and select File/Document Properties.
   There are 4 tabs - one of which is Fonts.  I just tried it on my Treo 680
   user's guide and the font list is there.

2. Right click in the text of your document and select:
   "Allow Hand Tool to Select Text"
   When placed correctly, the hand changes into a standard cursor "bar".
   Select the text normally by highlight and paste into OpenOffice Write.
   Now you have eliminated much of your OCR requirements.  Obviously
   there will still be formating to do - but no typing.

-rich