2007 Mar 12 09:25

Re: [vox-tech] Resizing partition ext3

You might be interested in checking out gparted live CD http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

I used recently to resize 5 partitions at once. Worked like a charm.

Alex Mandel wrote:
What I have(partitions):
P1: NTFS(Windows)
P2: Ext3(/)
P3: Fat32

What I want to do:
Make P1 smaller
Make P2 larger

Questions:
As long as I turn off journaling on my ext3(make it ext2) then I should
be able to resize it, even if that means adding to the front end of the
partition?
I'm not worried about resizing the NTFS, that's how I got linux onto
this machine to begin with.

Do I need to have free space in order to perform operations like this
other than the space that is obviously being shifted?

I'm going to backup /etc, /home but how do I backup a list of all
installed software so that if something goes wrong and I want to get
back to what I have without remembering every package I've ever added.
Preferably some automatic list that I could re-apt
-An alternate use to this idea that I've been thinking about, if I
change computers and want to bring a new machine up to the same set of
software fast I would need some list that apt can run through.

Thanks - Alex

Wade Pinkston

Ipsa scientia potestas est

Windows,a
32 bit graphical interface for a
16 bit patch to an
8 bit operating system internally coded for a
4 bit processor written by a
2 bit company that can't stand
1 bit of competition