January 6: Social gathering
2007 Mar 11 21:54

Re: [vox-tech] Internet Connectivity Weirdness

Re: [vox-tech] Internet Connectivity Weirdness

Richard S. Crawford wrote:
Over the past few days, I've been unable to reach my work website, http://www.extensiondlc.net, from home. I can reach just about every other website in the world just fine; it's just that one (and its various subdomains) that are causing the problems. Furthermore, I can reach the host, http://whsecure.net, just fine, but no subdomains. This problem is only happening at home.

When I try traceroute from any of the computers on my network, I get this:

richard@seamus:~
$ traceroute extensiondlc.net
traceroute to extensiondlc.net (66.232.56.196), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
1 * * *
2 * * *
3 * * *
4 * * *
30 * * *

I get the same output no matter which site I try to traceroute to.

In my experience, if I get timeouts at every instance in a traceroute, it means my connection is down; yet, as I mentioned, I can get to just about everywhere on the web except for that one domain just fine.

I have already contacted my DSL provider, who insisted (naturally) that nothing was wrong, and that they could not escalate my call.

Can anyone offer some insight?\
What is the output of

  netstat -nr

and

  ip link

from your home machines? Also, what is doing the routing for your
home network? One of your linux boxes, or a commercial router?