2007 Mar 11 13:17

Re: [vox-tech] How to get started with Linux

Re: [vox-tech] How to get started with Linux

Tim Coddington <jacod@comcast.net> wrote:
I am a mostly Windows user trying to make the jump.

So I bought a new computer (the parts are still in various boxes around
the house) and
downloaded a copy of Ubuntu 6.10 onto my PC. Burnt the copy onto a DVD
(to large to use
a CD being .73 Gig).

It seems that I am completely clue-free on where to go next. The suffix
of the file is .iso. So
how do I open it to see what is inside? No utilities recognize that
suffix. Since DVD drivers
don't come with Linux, is there a way to get it onto a CD?
Tim,
I use a software product for Windows from Paragon Software Group specifically for this purpose.
http://download.paragon.ag/demo/pisb.exe
It is small dedicated and efficient. I hope all these suggestions help :-)

Donald Greg "DiG" McGahan
University of California Davis
One Shields Ave (LAWR)
Davis, California 95616
Soil and Biogeochemistry
1146 Plant and Environmental Sciences Building
Laboratory Phone: 1-530-752-0144
Office Phone: 1-530-752-2205
email: soilman@ucdavis.edu or dgmcgahan@yahoo.com
MSN Messenger: dgmcgahan@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: dgmcgahan@yahoo.com

Wisdom "the trait of utilizing knowledge and experience with common sense and insight"
Ped-O-quote
"The lithosphere is the easel, the pedosphere the canvas, and the biosphere the painting on the canvas." (Gleason and Cronquist 1964)