2007 Mar 11 00:43

Re: [vox-tech] How to get started with Linux

Re: [vox-tech] How to get started with Linux

On Mar 9, 2007, at 11:56 PM, Tim Coddington wrote:

I am a mostly Windows user trying to make the jump.

So I bought a new computer (the parts are still in various boxes around
the house) and
downloaded a copy of Ubuntu 6.10 onto my PC. Burnt the copy onto a DVD
(to large to use
a CD being .73 Gig).

It seems that I am completely clue-free on where to go next. The suffix
of the file is .iso. So
how do I open it to see what is inside? No utilities recognize that
suffix. Since DVD drivers
don't come with Linux, is there a way to get it onto a CD?
It's a disc image. You need an .iso file burner. Nick mentioned some programs, I want to add http://www.deepburner.com/ as another possibility. (I've been using the free version. It's a nice little lightweight utility.)

As for it not fitting on a CD, you didn't mention the size of the file. The stated capacity of the CD does not include error correction. That is, when you burn the CD with the normal error correction, the total visible data capacity is what is advertised. About 700 meg standard. However, the .iso file (if I'm not mistaken) actually includes the ECC codes, so is larger than the CD's nominal capacity.

I might be wrong on the details, but many times I have burned an 800 meg .iso file to a 700 meg CD. Try it. Your burner program shouldn't let you burn too large an image, so you should know immediately if it will work.

Remember to open it AS an image file. Don't start a project to create a data disc and add the .iso file to the list. DeepBurner will start up with a prompt for what kind of project to do; select "Burn ISO image" and then use the "..." next to the "Image File" window to select the file.