2007 Mar 10 19:32

Re: [vox-tech] How to get started with Linux

På 2007-03-09, skrev Tim Coddington:
> I am a mostly Windows user trying to make the jump.
>
> So I bought a new computer (the parts are still in various boxes around
> the house) and
> downloaded a copy of Ubuntu 6.10 onto my PC.  Burnt the copy onto a DVD
> (to large to use
> a CD being .73 Gig).
>
> It seems that I am completely clue-free on where to go next.  The suffix
> of the file is .iso.  So
> how do I open it to see what is inside?  No utilities recognize that
> suffix.  Since DVD drivers
> don't come with Linux, is there a way to get it onto a CD?

I'm a little confused. Are you trying to burn the CD from Linux or
another operating system? DVD drivers do come with Linux, typically, but
may need manual intervention to activate.

If you are recording the CD from Linux, I suggest using the program
cdrecord, which runs in a terminal. There is no need to open the ISO
file; it is a complete copy of the desired contents of the CD (including
all required boor blocks and filesystem metadata) and needs to be passed
to a recording program as a raw image. A program that expects a list of
files as input and makes its own image will not work; it will produce a
CD containing a filesystem containing one big file and no boot block.

I suggest that you download the installation CD image from one of the
mirrors linked from http://ubuntu.com and use that to burn a CD (not
DVD). There is no point in my opinion in using a DVD to install because
you can easily add all the extra software you desire after installation;
a blank CD is cheaper and faster to record and dowload the image for.

I'm sorry that these instructions are so vague. I could likely offer
more specific suggestions with more details on your situation. I hope
this helps!

--
Henry House
+1 530 753 3361 ext. 13