2007 Mar 06 12:20

Re: [vox-tech] System Slow down

On Tuesday 06 March 2007 11:16:07 Alex Mandel wrote:
> Richard Crawford wrote:
> > Every now and then my FC3 server gets bogged down with heavy disk usage,
> > to the point where the system is unusable and I have to reboot.  I've
> > tried
> >
> > # tail -f /var/log/messages
> >
> > but nothing comes up when this happens.  Also, nothing unusual crops up
> > when I examine dmesg; the system just bogs down heavily for no obvious
> > reason.
> >
> > I'm not sure what I could be checking for.  I've run chkrootkit, and
> > nothing suspicious showed up there.  My "messages" logs showed nothing
> > unusual, but if the system had been cracked, of course, whoever did it
> > may have been smart enough to cover their tracks that way.
> >
> > Can anyone offer any suggestions or advice?
>
> When it starts to get boggy what shows up with Top?

Nothing unusual.  That was the first thing I checked for.  Since my wife and I
primarily use this server for email, and we check our email with SquirrelMail
or some other client via POP3, I see a number of httpd processes or
mail-related processes.  I also see some nfs and smb processes.

"That which does not kill me makes me stranger."
    -Llewellyn, from Ozy & Millie