2007 Feb 03 01:13

Re: [vox-tech] [OT] Numerical algorithms in C

Re: [vox-tech] [OT] Numerical algorithms in C

Pete

I use Octave all the time for numerical work (http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/). Although it is meant to be used as a command line interpreter, I believe many or all the routines can be called from within C++. Here is a FAQ that says something about this:

http://wiki.octave.org/wiki.pl?CategoryFAQ

And here is another document talking about Octave and c++:

http://octave.sourceforge.net/coda/index.html

If you are unfamiliar with Octave, there might be a bit of learning before you can do what you are asking. However, I doubt you will find a free numerical package that supports as many numerical routines or has as many active users and developers.

Regards,
Jonathan

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
Is there something equivalent to LAPACK or NAG in C?  Something free (as in
beer is OK by me).

I need some high powered stuff like SVD factorization, linear solvers that
specialize in rank deficient problems, n-th order polynomial least curve
fitting, rank tolerant matrix equation solvers, etc.

I know something like NAG (don't want to pay for it) and LAPACK (don't want
the headache of interfacing with fortran if I don't have to) has them.  I've
seen something called LAPACK++, which would be my next choice if something
in C isn't available.

Can anyone grant me temporary access to a machine with NAG?  That would work
too.

Thanks!
Pete