2007 Feb 03 01:13

[vox-tech] ohms law

Greetings:
This is a technical question that concerns dc voltage so hopefully someone that has knowledge in this area can help me with this.

I know that computers use low dc voltage of 12, 5 and 3.3 volts so hopefully this will fit the mail list criteria.

I am a mechanic by trade. I am good at diagnosing electrical and drivability. I have seen a few times that high resistance in the negative leg of a circuit can take out components like computers, modules and even not-so-complicated devices like bulbs and switches. What I don't understand is why. Ohm's law states that E=IXR. If this is the case then if resistance is high it will decrease amperage. I would tend to think that just the opposite would happen...component would just lose power and not fry.

Please enlighten me,

Jimbo