2007 Jan 27 07:41

Re: [vox-tech] Multiple displays and graphics cards

Re: [vox-tech] Multiple displays and graphics cards

Hi,

Thanks Kim and Ted for the tips on setting multiple displays on a remote server.

FYI, the application is for a flight simulator ( see my 747 project page on the FlightGear website -- www.flightgear.org )

It's still not quite as bullet proof as I would like but at least one can start an run the sim from an instructor's console via the LAN. My early architecture had four machines on the LAN, each with a single AGP card. A bit of a hack in that I had to set the BIOS to make the PCI card as primary. The captain's MCDU keypad needs to be the default keyboard and it uses a PCI slot so the mouse focus needs to initialize to that screen as there are no mice or keyboards in the sim to change focus. Probably a way to do that over the LAN, but for now this will do.

The P4 machine now has three graphics cards, a dual headed AGP Nvidia for the captain's displays, a dual headed PCI for the copilot's displays and right side MCDU, and a dual headed PCI to drive the other two MCDUs. All the hardware is connected via an interrupt based driver on the parallel port and four additional USB ports. And that includes all the flight controls, auto-throttles, brakes, tiller, and myriad of switches. In short, I've been able to cram the entire cockpit into a single machine. Also running with RTAI and Xenomai for a real-time version of Linux.
With FlightGear moving up to OSG, I'll also be able to create multiple views from a single machine for a wrap-around display.
I pity the fools banging their heads and emptying their wallets for all that Microsoft jazz, not to mention the pain and angony of trying to maintain a herd of machines.

Again, thanks for the tips
JW