2007 Jan 26 18:53

Re: [vox-tech] Fujitsu & Atheros?

Richard Harke wrote:
On Fri January 26 2007 12:08, Bob Scofield wrote:
Here are two easy questions:

1)  Is it true that, all other things being equal, a Linux user would
prefer an Atheros wireless card because of better driver support?
I sought out an Atheros based card for my HP laptop. (Linksys WPC55AG)
I had to build the driver from source tar-ball, but given that, it was
one of the easiest installs I've done. And I have native 64 bit for
my AMD64 Kubuntu system.
To weigh in on the other side, I have a (company issued) Thinkpad with the Intel wireless card built-in. Getting it working requires you're okay with Intel's proprietary binary license (if that's a deal breaker, Atheros is the way to go), and can download the firmware file. Once you copy it into /lib/firmware, life is good. I haven't had any problems using it, and it actually works better than in Windows for me.

-Harold