2007 Jan 24 13:11

[vox-tech] Re: New notebook computer for Linux - AMD or (BillBroadley)

[vox-tech] Re: New notebook computer for Linux - AMD or (BillBroadley)

Wow,

Thanks for the crash course in OS Kernel & Hardware design.

 I love this hardware stuff, but I'm more of a database wienie.  I'll
try to be more specific if I venture off into these waters again.

 You were correct, that the person who observed this behavior was
running the OS from Redmond.  He reported that it was a hardware
limitation, and I took it at face value.

 I'd love to use Linux for this application (classroom environment,
laptops, running multiple virtual machines), but haven't had much luck
with Linux drivers for wireless network cards.   I have a requirement
that the machines plug-n-play either wired Ethernet, or wireless if
not plugged in.  I've experimented with the windows NDIS drivers, but
need something that can be used by end users without too many
surprises.

Thanks again,

--
-- Kevin Hrim

/*
Teach this triple truth to all: A generous heart, kind speech, and a
life of service and compassion are the things which renew humanity. -
Buddha
*/