2007 Jan 24 20:08

Re: [vox-tech] Multiple displays and graphics cards

Re: [vox-tech] Multiple displays and graphics cards

Hi Mark,

Thank you for the quick reply and info

Mark K. Kim wrote:

>On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 11:15:34PM -0800, John Wojnaroski wrote:
>

>>so after logging in via ssh, starting the program(s) is a no-brainer,
>>but I'm puzzling over how to direct the output to a specific display.
>>Most of what I've found browsing was how to use the export command to
>>send display output to a remote client.
>>

>Depends on the setup.  Are you running one X session per monitor or one
>for both (Xinerama)?  Whatever the case, one of these should work:

There are four monitors and three graphics cards (all Nvidia) -- one is
a dual headed AGP and two are single headed PCI.
There is an X session for each card. The AGP is using the TwinView option.

>	export DISPLAY=<ip>:0.0   # 0.0 is first screen
>	xclock &
>	export DISPLAY=<ip>:0.1   # 0.1 is second screen
>	xclock &
>
>	export DISPLAY=<ip>:0.0   # 0.0 is first screen
>	xclock &
>	export DISPLAY=<ip>:1.0   # 1.0 is second screen
>	xclock &
>
>	xclock -geometry +0+0 &   # +0+0 is top-left of screen
>	xclock -geometry -0+0 &   # -0+0 is top-right of screen
>
>The last option is the least preferable setup because it forces the
>application to open in the same spot all the time.  The second option
>works if you have one X session per monitor.  The first option works if
>you have one X session and X understands the notion of "screens", which
>would be the most preferred setup.

I played with the export option a bit late last night as you noted above
but nothing worked. OTH I was pretty tired.. I'll give it another go today.

Do you have to do anything with the xhost list; something like "xhost
+127.0.0.1" or "xhost "ip of remote machine"?

Regards
John W