2007 Jan 24 07:56

Re: [vox-tech] Multiple displays and graphics cards

On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 11:15:34PM -0800, John Wojnaroski wrote:

> so after logging in via ssh, starting the program(s) is a no-brainer,
> but I'm puzzling over how to direct the output to a specific display.
> Most of what I've found browsing was how to use the export command to
> send display output to a remote client.

Depends on the setup.  Are you running one X session per monitor or one
for both (Xinerama)?  Whatever the case, one of these should work:

	export DISPLAY=<ip>:0.0   # 0.0 is first screen
	xclock &
	export DISPLAY=<ip>:0.1   # 0.1 is second screen
	xclock &

	export DISPLAY=<ip>:0.0   # 0.0 is first screen
	xclock &
	export DISPLAY=<ip>:1.0   # 1.0 is second screen
	xclock &

	xclock -geometry +0+0 &   # +0+0 is top-left of screen
	xclock -geometry -0+0 &   # -0+0 is top-right of screen

The last option is the least preferable setup because it forces the
application to open in the same spot all the time.  The second option
works if you have one X session per monitor.  The first option works if
you have one X session and X understands the notion of "screens", which
would be the most preferred setup.

-Mark