2007 Jan 23 00:43

[vox-tech] New notebook computer for Linux - AMD or Intel?

[vox-tech] New notebook computer for Linux - AMD or Intel?

I've been looking at a couple of HP notebook computers
on the HP site after severe customization on my part.

All else being equal, the AMD version has the top CPU,
the TL-60, while the Intel version has the T7200.

The Intel version has the advantage in L2 cache; 4MB
vs. 1MB. Also, it is a Core 2 Duo vs. a dual-core CPU.

Both have approximately the same HD capacity, and both
are SATA, but the Intel version runs at 7,200 rpm where
the AMD version runs at 5,400 rpm.

[Perhaps I've answered my own question at this point?]

Both have 2GB of memory and 17" screens. No doubt the wireless card in either will turn out to be incompatible
with Linux, but that's the story of my life.

The Intel version costs about $300 more, which is not a
deal breaker.

Thanks for any advice.

BTW, I'll be dual-booting XP and Linux, but Linux is the
primary concern.

Jim