2007 Jan 22 11:01

Re: [vox-tech] [OT] MS Windows nice

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
I'm developing a Java application that needs a ton of economic data from an
Oracle db.  The query takes a long time to do, so instead of getting the
data from Oracle, the app uses a binary file of "reference data".

The ref data is created once every morning.  Takes betweeen 2 and 15 min to
create.  Basically, all the economic data is downloaded and pumped into a
binary file.  This file is used by the app, rather than direct querying.

During the ref file creation, my computer pretty much locks up.  I can't do
much of anything.  Windows has a hard time being a multi-tasking OS.

So, two questions:

1. Is there a cron for Windows?  I would like to run something like:

      cd /path/to/application
      ant create.reference.data

   before coming into work.
You can run an exe or batch file using the Task Scheduler.
I'm assuming we're talking windowsXP, win2000 had some quirks about what it would or wouldn't do.
Start -> Program Files ->Accessories ->System Tools(I think this is were it is)

2. Is there a nice for Windows?

      I don't think the ref data is built any faster when it has full
      control of my system.  I really would like to read digg.com while
      the data is being built.  Is there a way to nice a process in Windows?

I've heard there's a way to set the process priority, but that was in the msdn somewhere and I think you'd have to write a program to do that.

Alex