January 6: Social gathering
2007 Jan 27 07:41

[vox-tech] DVD grief

I received a DVD from a relative that she had composed
out of family photos. It plays on my desktop just fine. It won't
play on our DVD player because it is -R. I finally made a copy
to +R working on my laptop. (It appears that I can't burn
DVD's on my desktop anymore.) The copy plays fine on my desktop but,
while the DVD player now sees the disk, the playback is unusable.
(Sound and picture both intermeittent) On my wife's Windows desktop
machine, the oringinal won't load at all, the copy will load but you can't
get beyond the menu.
Now the question is: How can the results be so different? Is there anyway I
can fix this? My wife insiststhat the original is badly flawed.

As a side note. Trying to play it (or the copy) on my laptop is
bizaare. The sound is just fine but the video is replaced by a light
show, colorful patterns that are too regular to be fractals and not at all
pixelated.

Richard Harke