2007 Jan 17 05:42

Re: [vox-tech] Ubuntu sound card issues on KDS laptop

Re: [vox-tech] Ubuntu sound card issues on KDS laptop

Eric Engelhard wrote:
One of my neighbors purchased a used KDS Valiant 671XH laptop for his
daughter. The machine was running Windows XP, but was crippled with viruses
and malware. I turned six people on to Ubuntu Linux in the last year and have
had no issues on three laptops and three workstations. Unfortunately, this
install (Ubuntu 6.06) had trouble with the sound card. Even worse, the
original OS was so crippled that I did not even bother to check out the
hardware specifications (I know, I know...). Bitten by overconfidence.

I tried looking on linux-on-laptops.com and tux-mobil.org, but there are no
references to this model. I also tried kdscomputers.com, but it appears that
they have gone out of business. The ALSA site also has no specific references
to this model.

Is anyone familiar with this model or have sufficient ALSA/sound card
experience to offer a suggestion?

Many thanks,

Eric Engelhard
Knowing the sound card model is more interesting than the laptop model, try "lspci -v" and look for sound card info. e.g.

00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 01)
Subsystem: IBM: Unknown device 0537
I/O ports at 1c00 [size=256]
I/O ports at 18c0 [size=64]
Memory at c0000c00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]
Memory at c0000800 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
Capabilities: <available only to root>

Then you can go Googling for Linux support for that chipset.