2007 Jan 16 12:11

Re: [vox-tech] No resolution except 640x480

On Saturday 13 January 2007 19:44, Alex Mandel wrote:
> Ken Bloom wrote:
> > I just booted my computer today, and Xorg isn't giving me any other
> > resolution than 640x480, because it says it can't read the EDID
> > information from my monitor. The relevant log snippet is below
> > (the whole log is attached, as is my xorg.conf).
> >
> > Can anyone help get this to work again? I'm running a Dell
> > Dimension 4100, with a GeForce4 MX 440 graphics card, and a Sony
> > Trinitron Multiscan 420GS monitor.
> >
> > It was working just fine on Friday, and I've attached the aptitude
> > log for the only dist-upgrade that I did on Friday (just in case
> > that dist-upgrade broke everything).
> >
> > --Ken Bloom
>
> I've had problems like that before in the past. Try switch your depth
> settings in xorg to 16 and maybe if you have a backup copy of your
> old xorg before the dist-upgrade do a diff to make sure the upgrade
> didn't fudge anything.

I ran X -configure, and it gave me a new Xorg.conf that worked, even
when I changed it to the nvidia driver. I don't know what was wrong,
but I did notice that X -configure added HorizSync and VertRefresh
commands to the new xorg.conf (which weren't there in the old one)

--Ken
http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/