2007 Jan 10 18:23

Re: [vox-tech] Apple & Linux

Hi Stuart

Thanks for the detailed information..... I "thought" these virtual machines (Parallels, VMWare, etc) work a lot slower. A few years ago I used VMWare on my 800MHz AMD-based PC to write/run a few small programming class projects and it was like 20X slower than when I installed Fedora as a secondary OS. But I guess the world has changed a lot :-) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanderpool

I'm sure there is still some performance penalty. You said you are using those softwares; How much slower is it when you run some Win/Linux application in VMWare comparing to when you run it in a real Win/Linux OS? like 10%? it would be awesome then.....

Thanks,
Matin

On 1/10/07, Stuart Turner < swturner@ucdavis.edu> wrote:

Matin Hashemi wrote:
> There is just one little problem here: I have to reboot the machine
> every time I need to use an application from the other OS :(
> Fortunately, I just learned that there is some Free BSD already
> installed in Apple OS X Tiger. Am I right?

Matin:

There are several options for virtualization under Mac OS X to run Linux and/or Windows
concurrently. I'm running VirtualPC on my Powerbook (not available for Intel-based Macs, but
rather moot anyway - it's a dog) and the following two applications on an Intel machine
(MacBook Pro) running Fedora Core 6 and Ubuntu.

1) Parallels
http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/

2) VMWare Fusion
http://www.vmware.com/whatsnew/macsignupform.html

A Beta program that is free for download and use...for now.

Link to VMWare Appliances that include many Linux distributions, including Fedora, Ubuntu,
OpenBSD and others:
http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/

FreeBSD is not installed on Tiger, but Mac OS X runs on an a variant of BSD called Darwin. Darwin
is essentially open source (BSD is an academic license, not a reciprocal license like the GPL, and
allows Apple Inc to choose which components to remain open and which to keep proprietary).

~ Stuart

--
Dr. Stuart Turner
Health Informatics Graduate Program and

UCDHS-ASB
2450 48th St, Suite 2685
Sacramento, CA 95817
916.734.3857 (voice) | 916.734.3975 (fax)
916.873.4325 (cell)  | stuart.turner.ucdavis (Skype)