2007 Jan 08 09:09

Re: [vox-tech] new gaming computer

On Sun, Jan 07, 2007 at 03:01:31PM -0800, Jimbo wrote:
> Maybe I can bring it to the next installfest IF they have some sort of wifi
> internet.  W/o internet I won't be able to research or d/l what is needed
> for the genius that will be helping me get 3d working.

FWIW, _I_ figured out Nvidia drivers on Kubuntu, and have accel'd 3D working
for my purposes (lately, Xgl, Compiz and Beryl GUI eye candy... previously,
just to get things like Stellarium and Google Earth working... I'm not
a hardcore gamer, and, while I have Windows on a drive in that box, I no
longer touch it since work issued me a laptop).

So, it shouldn't be _too_ hard.

> I would really like to get pclinux working because I am very familiar with
> it.  On my last pc I was able to get 3d working and was even able to watch,
> edit and even save/burn dvd's, be it copywrited or not.  Plus it has
> bittorent, synaptic w/ fresh cutting edge supositories, frostwire and other
> things all rolled up into one.  It was soo user friendly.

I'm not familiar with PCLinuxOS, having only ever used RedHat, Debian
and Kubuntu... nor will I be attending an Installfest any time soon.
But, I say: RSPV for the next one.  I think they're trying to work out
when it will be, probably later this month:

  http://www.lugod.org/if/

For discussion, see:

  http://lists.lugod.org/pipermail/vox-if/2007-January/thread.html

to participate, go sign up at: